Thursday, April 30, 2015

The good news??

We all have heard to rejoice with one another and again I say, "rejoice"? So, the question of the day coming straight from Nineveh to you and to me is, "Why oh why was the good news not good?"

Consider the text,10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

Jonah’s Anger at the Lord’s Compassion

But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”
But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

I'm so sorry to feel like laughing like mad, but "I tried"....???? I tried to resist the goodness of God because it didn't seem so good to me?  We have to see the humor in this human thinking!! Here we are at the bottom of the sea in the belly of a whale and yeah, it just cannot get much worse than that...and there's more!! We are in this position because we were foolish enough to try things our own way...and then, we ask God to use His power and His wisdom to get us out of this unbelievably scary fix...!! Amazingly enough, as soon as He does help us...we cry, "foul!" Still, we try to resist the good news and we run for something that appears to be good...like the shade of a plant..but more on that later...LOL! 

Therefore, ...Let's rhyme together, I tried and I died!!

Principle: When you try, you lie and then you die!!!

Food for thought...okay..sea food for thought....

We do not need "to try" when the Lord is on our side!! 

What? Am I saying that trying is a bad thing? Before any of you foam at the mouth or decide that I'm an extremely crazy writer...consider this salient passage of Scripture full of Biblical imperatives out of Romans 12,

Love in Action

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. I have to add something here...I suppose we are really good at pointing out what is evil or what is evil against us specifically...but are we equal to the task in clinging to what is good...even when the good news doesn't seem so good? (emphasis mine) . 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Biblical imperatives mean that you have to do certain actions...never through our own devices or efforts, but in Christ..! Therefore, we don't try in our own strength or we will land in death every time...we rely on the power of God!! Also, in Christ, there is no negotiation or compromise!! We cannot look at the Lord of lords and say, "Well, at least I tried"!!  Ha! I didn't do it your way, Lord, but I tried!! In the same way, we cannot aim for something opposite of what God is asking of us and say I tried to resist the will of God and I'm just not sure why life stinks right now!!  Really? Life could smell so beautiful if we'd let Him lead it!!

Principle: when the good of God doesn't seem good at all..remember that it's you, not He that is a creature of the Fall!! 

Stop trying...start rejoicing with the truth!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment